Tips for looking after your pearls…
Your pearls will stay cleaner if you put them on after you've applied your makeup and perfume.
• Wipe your pearls with a soft, lint-free cloth as soon as you take them off to remove any excess body oil or residue. The cloth can be dampened with water, or it can be dry. If damp, allow the pearls to air dry before putting them away.
• Dirty pearls can be cleaned with a small amount of mild soap (like Woolite or Stergene) diluted in water solution. Dab the pearls and never submerge the pearls in liquid. Make sure you rinse off all the solution and pat them dry. .
• Never clean your pearls with solutions that contain ammonia or harsh detergents.
• Don't under any circumstances put pearl jewellery in an ultrasonic cleaner. The vibrations can severely damage the nacre coating.
• Don't use abrasive cleaners or rub pearls with abrasive polishing cloth. They can wear away the nacre dulling the pearl
• Don’t clean your pearls too often. As this can dull the pearl's lustre
• Body oil (just a touch) can enhance the shine of your pearls.
Storing your pearls
If you are lucky enough to have a necklace of hand-knotted pearls
• Store them flat and as hanging them can stretch the silk making the necklace ‘looser’ even if the silk has been previously stretched by the maker.
• Store them out of the sunlight. The sun can affect the nacre and lustre of the pearl.