Tips for cleaning pearls
- Your pearls will stay cleaner if you put them on after you've applied your makeup and perfume.
- Wipe your pearls with a soft, lint-free cloth as soon as you take them off to remove any excess body oil or residue.
- The cloth can be dampened with water, or it can be dry. If damp, allow the pearls to air dry before putting them away.
- Dirty pearls can be cleaned with a small amount of mild soap (like Woolite or Stergene) in water solution.
- Never submerge pearls in liquid. If cleaning, use a damp non fluffy cloth with a mild cleaning solution. Make sure you rinse off all the solution and pat them dry.
- Don't leave the pearls under water.
- Never clean your pearls with solutions that contain ammonia or harsh detergents.
- Don't put pearl jewelry in an ultrasonic cleaner. The vibrations can damage the nacre coating.
- Don't use abrasive cleaners or rub pearls with abrasive polishing cloth as both can wear away the nacre coating, leaving you with a dull looking pearl.